The following Question Without Notice was asked by the Hon Colin de Grussa and answered today by the Hon Stephen Dawson as the Minister representing the Hon Fran Logan Emergency Services Minister.
Hon COLIN de GRUSSA to the minister representing the Minister for Emergency Services:
I refer to the minister’s response to question without notice 1026 asked on Tuesday, 30 October 2018, regarding members of Parliament meeting with emergency services volunteers in which the minister states that he “has a duty to prevent politicisation of volunteers”.
(1) Can the minister confirm whether he or the Department of Fire and Emergency Services have any authority to prevent volunteers from meeting with members of Parliament in their own time?
(2) Please table any advice provided by DFES to the minister in relation to these meetings?
(3) Is the minister suggesting in his response that volunteers are incapable of making their own political decisions or judgements when meeting with members of Parliament?
(4) Is the minister’s implication that volunteers are confused about who is the Minister for Emergency Services is an admission that he is failing to properly engage with the volunteer community?
Hon STEPHEN DAWSON replied:
I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question.
(1) The minister may facilitate access to state government personnel or infrastructure when members of Parliament request it.
(2) Not applicable.
(4) The premise of this question is incorrect. The minister has personally met with hundreds of volunteers across WA during this term of government.