The following Question Without Notice was asked by the Hon Colin Holt MLC and answered today in Parliament by Environment Minister Hon Stephen Dawson MLC on behalf of Emergency Services Minister Hon Fran Logan MLA
“ARE YOU BUSHFIRE READY?” CAMPAIGN
Hon COLIN HOLT to the minister representing the Minister for Emergency Services:
I refer to the “Are You Bushfire Ready?” campaign.
(1) How much was spent on the campaign in the 2015–16, 2016–17 and 2017–18 financial years?
(2) How much has the government budgeted to spend on the campaign in this financial year?
(3) How much has the government spent on the Fire Chat campaign in this financial year?
(4) What other advertising measures has the Department of Fire and Emergency Services put in place to ensure residents are equipped to meet bushfire challenges this fire season?
Hon STEPHEN DAWSON replied:
I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question.
(1) In 2015–16, Western Power spent $900 000 and government spent $100 000; in 2016–17, Western Power spent $900 000 and government spent $100 000; and in 2017–18, government spent $212 000.
(2) It has budgeted $1 million.
(3) The Department of Fire and Emergency Services has spent $3 234.00 on the Fire Chat component of its education campaign.
(4) Other advertising measures DFES has put in place to ensure residents are equipped to meet bushfire challenges this fire season include proactive media; online news articles; proactive digital content; and communications with staff, volunteers and local government in a range of mediums.
I seek leave to have the remainder of the response incorporated into Hansard. Leave granted.
The following material was incorporated —
- Bushfire Action Month – media release & regional media how to prepare for season.
- Bushfire Preparedness Event – Commissioner & Minister showing well prepared property.
- Community Service Announcements – ABC & 6PR CSA’s on bushfire.
- Fire Campaign Launch – Press conference Minister & Commissioner 2/12/18.
- Campaign Exclusive – Sunday Times feature on new Fire Campaign 2/12/18.
- Commissioner on 6PR & ABC – Talking bushfire & preparedness on 3/12/12.
- ABC Bushfire Awareness Day – Programs feature stories about bushfire on 6/12/12.
- Strikeforce Vulcan – In conjunction with WA Police on 6/12/12.
- The West Australian Commissioner Profile – Bushfire season.
- Today Tonight – Fire Season Property flyover.
- Seven News – New technology for bushfire season.
- Aerial Fleet Launch – 21/12/12.
- BRMP Officers – Story with Sunday Times in December 2018.
- Cigarettes & bushfires – With Keep Australia Beautiful in January 2019.
- Evacuating Animals – With Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development in January. Online news Article DFES website including:
- Survivors story including safety messages.
- Bushfire Patrol Program teaching school children safety messages.
- Total Fire Bans – Why do we have them?
- Fire Weather – interview with Bureau of Meteorology.
Incident based stories as bushfires occur throughout the season. Proactive Digital Content:
- A series of safety animations about bushfire awareness and preparedness, including information about related alerts and warnings.
- Infographics and animations relating to Total Fire Bans and Fire Danger Ratings.
- Videos series from the Shire of Harvey where the community share stories about their experiences including safety messaging.
- New graphics for bushfire advices, watch and acts, and emergency warnings
- Video safety messages from BGU volunteers.
Communications going to staff, volunteers and local government via:
- WALGA Newsletter.
- DFES Volunteer Newsletter and Volunteer Portal.
- All staff emails and intranet content.